“Action for Construction is committed to supporting the development of SME’s and Micro-businesses required to meet the future and changing needs of the industry and attracting the next generation”
We will achieve this by:
- Working with our members to support them through training to upskill their workforce to meet industry standards and help them to develop their businesses.
- Promoting construction as a career of choice in schools and colleges to both academically and vocationally inclined students, emphasising the wide range of career paths.
- Encouraging and supporting our members to take on apprentices – trade, technical, professional and management.
How We Started
Beginning in 2006, we were founded by a small group of like minded construction companies in the Greater Nottingham area. They decided to give the construction industry their full support, focusing attention on general skills shortages that plagued the industry and promoting construction as a career of choice to schools and colleges.
Over the last 14 years we have grown our membership to over 40 construction companies located across the East Midlands. We work with a similar number of supporting organisations and schools.
We provide a range of construction related subsidised training for our members, for more information please go to our Training page.
We hold a number of “Open Evenings”, where members are updated about topical issues and “social events” where can network with our members and supporters. To find out about forthcoming events please visit our News & Events page.
What We Offer Our Members:
- A wide range of quality open & bespoke training courses at reduced prices.
- Advice and support with claiming CITB grants, including the preparation of training plans and updates on any grant scheme changes.
- Regular updates on any changes that are relevant to our industry.
- AFC will be a source of information through various mediums such as our website, meetings, newsletters, forums, workshops etc
- A direct link between local education/training providers offering construction courses and employer apprenticeship opportunities, as well as promoting construction as a career in schools and working with employers to offer students some hands on work experience.
- The Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire based training group provides these through a dedicated General Manager/Training Officer working with a Management Group comprising representatives from member organisations who understand the pressures and day-to-day needs of both individuals and companies working within construction. This structure enables both local and global concerns and needs to be addressed.
- Abcissa Web Sites
- Barratt Homes
- EAM Group
- Essential Site Skills
- Gedling District Council
- Nottingham City Council
- Nottingham City Homes
- Nottingham Trent University
- Nottingham University
- Nottinghamshire County Council
- PRS Training Services
- UK Industries Training
- Willmott Dixon
- Working Well Together
- Youthbuild UK
As we are a Company Limited by Guarantee we have a Board of Directors, who are elected by the members from the Management Team.
The current Directors, re-elected at the 2019 Annual General Meeting are:
- Catherine Canning (Chair)
- Gary Shout (Deputy Chair)
- Lucy Drury (Secretary)
- Rob Bailey (Treasurer)
The Management team comprises the directors and:
- Terry Brickles
- Matt Bust
- Lee Drury
The group is looked after by our General Manager/ Group Training Officer Adele Doyle
We are currently looking for members who would like to become involved in the subgroups and/or the Management Team. If you are interested, please contact Adele Doyle: by phone 07736 521419 or by e-mail email@example.com