May 31, 2020
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Cable Avoidance – Basic Operator
Accreditation: ESS Certificate
Course duration: Half Day
Certificate valid for: 3 years
Grant Available: Yes
The Cable Avoidance Basic Operator course for Underground Cable Avoidance has been designed for operatives who are required to locate underground services as part of a safe system of work for excavation. It is essential for anyone involved in excavation work on construction sites, roads or industrial estates etc. The course will provide learners with the necessary skills required to locate underground services using utility drawings, including the use and maintenance of a CAT and Genny as a Basic Operator (BO).
Who Should Attend:
• The Cable Avoidance Basic Operator course is suitable for anyone who has a responsibility for identifying, locating and marking underground services.
• Learners will sit a short theoretical test, followed by a practical assessment.
• Learners will develop their knowledge and skills, to include:
• Introduction to Underground Services
• HSG 47 overview and associated legislation
• Basic principles of locating and avoidance of underground services
• Reading and understanding site plans
• Inspection of Cable Avoidance Tools
• Use a Cable Avoidance Tool (CAT) and Signal Generator (Genny)
• Appreciation of difficulties associated with underground service avoidance
• Identify risks and hazards associated with underground service avoidance including PPE
• Storage and maintenance of equipment
• Safe digging practices and marking guidelines